By Samuel D. Tweah, Jr. (Minister of Finance and Development Planning)
I promised to provide more information and documentation on a misleading post made by AMARA KONNEH today.
Suffice it to allow me attach the signature page and heading of the 2022 Framework agreement so it is clear this was a Government wide transaction and not ‘through Samuel Tweah’ as Amara tried to falsely portray.
I have summarized all legal steps below. All documents referenced here are available for Mr. Konneh to see as incoming Senator.
- HPX engagement with Liberia grew out of a ratified international bilateral agreement reached between Guinea and Liberia on transport of Guinean ore through LIBERIA.
- PPCC approved a procurement of port concession for HPX which was issued a concession certificate, which is prepared by MFDP. The Liberian Cabinet endorsed this procurement.
- HPX and Government then entered a framework agreement in 2019. Both sides agree to work on Concession and Access agreement to be ratified by the national Legislature. HPX in this agreement agreed to pay $7 million to Liberia’s Consolidated Account through the Central Bank of Liberia.
- This was part payment of future payments the company would make if it got a concession agreement. THIS $ 7 MILLION WOULD BE REFUNDED IF AN ACCESS AGREEMENT WAS NOT REACHED BY BOTH PARTIES. HPX WOULD MAKE REQUEST FOR THIS REFUND TO BE MADE!
- Both parties AMENDED and RESTATED the 2019 Framework agreement in 2022. The terms were similar with other revisions but this time the Company agreed to pay $ 30 million and to consider the original $7 million NOT DUE.
- Again if a concession could NOT be reached by a specific date Liberia agreed to REFUND HPX by a certain date UPON REQUEST FROM HPX.
- The repayment date has since come and gone but HPX has deferred the APPLICATION OF THE CLAUSE ON REPAYMENT in the spirit of Government reaching agreement with Both HPX and ARCELOR MITTAL without which the Access Agreement cannot happen. THESE LETTERS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THE NEW ADMINISTRATION! The new Administration will continue to work to secure an agreement with all sides. If this is NOT possible HPX would make a request for repayment as agreed in the FRAMEWORK and the Government would REFUND.
- No Liberian laws have been VIOLATED IN these processes as outlined above.
8 We did NOT explain all these processes because we don’t run Government in the public this way. However when politically motivated individuals aim to mislead the public we are forced to RESPOND this way.
- Finally all FRAMEWORK AGREEMENTS WERE DULY SIGNED BY THE FOLLOWING ON BEHALF OF GOL.
MINISTER OF MINES AND ENERGY
CHAIR OF NATIONAL INVESTMENT COMMISSION
MINISTER OF FINANCE AND DEVELOPMENT PLANNING
And ATESSTED TO BY THE MINISTER OF JUSTICE
- So Mr KONNEH this is not ‘SAMUEL TWEAH OPERATION’ AS YOU TRIED TO MISLEAD THE PUBLIC. U owe an apology to US SIGNERS, the Legislature you accused and HPX you are trying to INDICT!
We await your apology. Again think before writing! ALL REFERENCES you made today about PPCC laws were met and we could not go to LEG bc we don’t have an agreement yet to carry there.
For those asking for accountability on 37 million, this money plus all other Government monies are discussed in GOL expenditure reports.
No separate account can be given for a single revenue source. Monies go into the pot and are spent for salary, roads and other public goods.
I believe Mr Konneh should know this as Former Minister of Finance.
My last word on this matter: